The traditional cast Kendal blog

Sam: We were discussing how Connections each year is filled with traditions. This year, I felt I almost knew what to expect, similar kinds of things go on: we start with the iconic Kendal steps photo, we do a bit of singing in the malt room, check into the hostel, run a tech rehearsal (and receive compliments on our efficiency, of course), then we perform for the last time, eat pizza, eat more pizza and not get much sleep. Then, day two, we will wake up early and go hunter-gathering for a breakfast before playing that’s out then watching shows and partying some more. Despite this apparently packed schedule, what I noticed this year is that much like how an actor will perform the same play many times but with different intentions and thoughts, we uphold these traditions but enjoy the richness of these moments with a set of incredible people. The point I am trying to make I suppose is that being part of Kendal – and connections in particular – reminds me to cherish the time I have and to spend it how I like. Which is why as I look up to see Dec and Tom playing pool while Shelbie and Alice listen to last years roll call, enjoying these traditions, from my little sofa in the hostel I can’t help but smile and feel incredibly lucky.
Please excuse my horrific clichés.

Shelbie: This year in Connections I went into it without Merv who was my connection partner last year. One thing that worried me about this play was the idea of the throwies, I didn’t think that it would work but by the end product and seeing it on video it looked amazing. This year has been quite different to last year as we didn’t have some of the bigger characters in the cast but gained some great people; I’ve got a lot closer to the people in the cast and made some more new friends. I think that one thing that I’m going to take out of this is the stronger friendships and the confidence to turn my back to the audience and talk is harder than I thought. The only problem I had with Kendal was not getting to play That’s Out due to the weather which was disappointing but on the bright side was just had a game session instead. The things I’m going to miss about this connections is spending so much time with these people, not playing Hugs anymore and the ginger cat that lives in the hostel.

Emily: This year, I was that girl who stood there in the corner not really knowing anyone at all and hoping that someone would come over to me. Now, that is not the case at all. I am the youngest by a fair amount in connections but that hasn’t really bothered me at all. In fact, its sort of added an extra challenge for me to overcome. One thing that made me think about this play is how fast paced it is and the use of complicated words to portray the sort of characters we were. However, with a little research on the side, everyone quickly came to grips with every part of Hacktivists. During this experience, I have made so many new friends and learnt so much about acting (as a whole) and myself on how to think about things differently. The play has made me re-think the way young people go about life as we all just assume that there’s one solution to every problem. But (in particular Archie’s ending speeches) now I realize how the world isn’t black and white. The feeling of accomplishment and pride we had as we all walked off stage last night is something I will never forget. Myself and Siobhan have been on a journey since November and sadly now that has ended. I’m not that lonely girl who stands there in the corner without friends. I have made the best memories with the cast and it’ll feel weird without rehearsals on a Saturday afternoon. I’m so thankful for this opportunity and I can’t wait for connections 2016!

Amy W: This year’s connections was wizard! Both the acting and the messing around with a bunch of cool people in Kendal, were amazing. Everyone has worked very hard to find new elements of their character and the characterisation has changed massively from the first rehearsal to the final performance in Kendal Arts Brewery Centre, improving until we made a performance to be proud of, and, even when we basically ignored the script, our performance (in my opinion at least) was powerful. Now, slightly very tired from not sleeping very much, I can’t wait to spend the rest of my weekend with everyone, even if the weather being mean because it doesn’t want us to play That’s Out.s

Bobbie: The second year of Connections was totally different from my first as I was on crew, rather than in the cast. It meant that I was able to take a step back from everything and see how far everyone came. It’s totally different from being in the centre of things because you don’t have to think about yourself and your development, and all I had to do was step back and watch and do the occasional helpful thing with building the set and other stuff. Everyone went from strength to strength with this show. With the help of Sarah of course… It was really, really nice to see. Of course, Kendal is the highlight, as per. Even though we didn’t get to play That’s Out because of the stupid rain! BUT Rachet Screwdriver was definitely a thing and who doesn’t love that?! WHAT TEAM?!?!

Amy O: hey homedogs, I love Kendal lol fave ever. I was gonna end it there but I think people might be mad if that’s all I type. So okay, this is my fourth connections which is hella mental and I love how every year they change but at the same time there’s always stuff I know I can rely on and I love it so much. Beth is very sassy and a lot of work and its taking me a lot to get to this point with her so im v pleased to have made it here in one piece. I love every single one of you so much, you all have my heart and you’ve made this year the best ever (and made me sassier). I want to thank you all

Leah: Usually my blogs consist of saying how wonderful everyone is and how much I enjoyed myself (which I did) but this time I’m going to talk about my character, Mel. I really struggled to find the right way to play Mel mainly because she is nothing like me and it took me a while to actually like her… with each rehearsal, bit of character work, run-through and costume change, I discovered something new about her. At times she made no sense to me and I would get annoyed at myself for not getting her correct but sometimes I would go home thinking I finally achieved something fantastic. Eventually (in the Kendal performance) I took a shot and played her differently to how I had ever played her before and NAILED it! Now that its over, I feel like I accomplished something seemingly impossible and feel great even if it did take me a while. Oh and just for the record, I love you all, you are all so wonderful and I really enjoyed myself. BRING ON THE NEXT PROJECT!

Ellen: helloooo, so I’ve only been doing connections for two years now, last years The Wardrobe and this years Hackitivsts. I usually I love the last performance but I don’t think the odds were in my favour this time. It’s a funny story really.
So there I am walking off stage at the end of scene one, and in the darkness of blackout I manage to fall over not one chair but two! Now in this confusion I manage to lose my left shoe… on stage. In the rush of it all I just kept walking off stage pretending nothing had happened.

Backstage I’m panicking and I decide that I cant go on stage with one shoe, so I ditch my right shoe back stage. So I spent scene two and three without any shoes on, hiding my feet behind chairs and bags. I even said my lines while hiding my bare feet. Meanwhile I’m looking around stage for my left shoe, just my luck its on the other side of the stage. Sneakily I walk over and slip on my shoe, whilst beckoning to a girl in my cast, Toni. I knew she was going to go off stage and back on so I asked her to go get my shoes from backstage and put it in her bag. Unfortunately she was unsuccessful and I had to wait until the end of scene three (baring in mind that there are only four scenes in the play). So I hobbled of stage at the end of scene three with my shoe happy that the worst was over, not quite. As I left I fell over another chair but luckily my shoe stayed on this time. Luckily scene four was spent with shoes and a bruise on my leg. Even though I felt quite embarrassed I also felt like Cinderella, so I cant complain. No, the play was good, I had a laugh and apparently no one noticed.

Alice: Well, volunteering to do the sound for this year’s connections play about 3 or 4 weeks before we go to Kendal was ambitious for my first ever connections experience. However, even though I only had a few weeks of rehearsals, the cast’s warm welcome helped us to achieve an outstanding performance on Saturday at Kendal. Even though it may have not been the smoothest they have performed it, it was thoroughly enjoyable to be apart of. I loved every second of it: the bus journey, the performance, the party, the night, beating tom at pool and having a day of games and relaxation (not to mention the other theatre companies incredible performances) I can honestly say that I have never laughed, partied, or just generally had such a great time. Kendal met and exceeded my expectations and next year I hope to be part of the cast so I can be part of such a great experience and hopefully make some more amazing memories with outstanding people! (hopefully next time there won’t be as many millions to be picked up at 1 o’clock in the morning…)

Grace: My year at connections has been another AMAAAAAAAAAZING one! I’ve learnt how to overcome my problems by trying out how to say lines differently and punching in my lines as soon as the other ones have been said. I also got so into character that I sang my line and didn’t even realize till I got told afterwards. I think that the whole cast had an amazing energy on stage and the true characters were all portrayed in doing so. This gave the atmosphere more tension and I could put more empathy into my character.

Declan: Well, this is my first year doing connections and guess what? I’ve loved every single second. I feel like I have grown in confidence through out the performance. I can’t believe that I have only been with yew tree 11 months and to be honest its felt like years. Playing to part of Steve was challenging as he wasn’t like my original personality I have loved and enjoyed everything from watching all the performances from the other companies and connection has made my become closer to so many people mainly my squad. I CANT WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR. Defiantly something I will never forget.

Georgia: WHAT TEAM?!? Hacktivists…. WOAH! Connections is fabulous by the cast, crew and director and I can personally say that all three are on fleek! The entire process is so enjoyable, from the auditions when everyone comes together to support one another, never really minding if they get the part they want, just happy that everyone gets a part and gets the chance to join in this amazing experience. Some of my favorite moments from the process include the character work as I don’t think I have ever got to know a character as well as I have Nisha, I probably know her more than I know myself. I have loved developing relationships within the cast, becoming close to people from different companies, a variety of age groups, and personalities, because it is truly our individuality that makes is different, the fact that we are all unique its what makes us special (see what I did there). Another of my favorite moments is connections week in which I found my squadies, and made some best friends in people I didn’t think were particularly keen on me… which is always a good thing. I am a very forgetful person, but I will not forget my experience with this play, the people involved in it, working with it, for they have truly helped me to develop my acting skills and have made the past six months so enjoyable. Thank you so much Hacktivists cast you are my faves (and I say that to no-one), I love you with all my heart, to infinity and beyond –Georgia x

Hollie: So this is my second connections play and it has been really amazing. Everyone has developed incredible amounts in character and confidence. Its been so nice spending time with all the cast and our relationships just growing and getting stronger.  For me the thing that has been good drama wise is developing the characters because it is so easy to take it and I feel it will change the way I perform everything. This weekend has been really amazing and I really hope I can do it next year or there will just be a massive hole in my year. Love you all Jxxx

Libby: I have just spent the past six months with the best people anyone could wish for, this is my second connections play and it has been lovely to be able to work with such an amazing group of people, I’ve made new friendships and gotten closer to a lot more people (squadJ). Its been amazing to see how the play has developed and to see how much people have come out of their shell more. I hope that I will be able to take part in connections next year or I will be bored a lot. Thank you Sarah and Oz for helping us put on an amazing production! I wouldn’t change anything about this connections experience, I love you all, see you next year xxxxx

Toni: I can’t believe we’re in Kendal again and it’s all over! It’s been an amazing 6 months and I’ve learnt loads in terms of acting, such as how to action lines to make your intentions clearer and how the slight change in the way you say a line or where you stand can completely alter the energy if parts of the play are too well rehearsed. It’s my second time doing connections, but this is my first time acting in the cast, which I was quite nervous about. However, it’s been one of the most rewarding things I’ve done! Especially performing and watching other plays a The Brewery Arts Centre; even after Ellen’s shoe incident. So thank you to the cast, Sarah and Oz and Kendal for having us- It’s been great! I really hope I can do Connections next year and hopefully it will be nicer weather so we can squeeze in our missed game of That’s Out! But until then we’ve got loads to look forward to with The Hepworth performances and the Summer Project. Thanks!J



Tom: Connections, and particularly the Kendal visit, is one of the highlights of the year for me, and I can safely say this year has not let me down. I’ve grown so much as an actor, and also as a person. And art the same time, I’ve watched Pez (my character in the connections play this year) grow and develop and become so much more than I envisaged he could ever be. He couldn’t have become so much without the help offered by Georgia petts in particular, and id like to thank her for putting up with my probably very annoying texts about random character aspects. But this entire cast have become very dear friends of mine, and the thought of not seeing them in this enviroment, creating and developing this text, upsets me greatly. But for now, we just have to enjoy the last hours of our adventure, and begin to prepare for whatever comes next

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...