With a European flavour Yasmin is our first guest blogger...

So last Saturday I went to the local theatre here in Ourense (Galicia) to see a play called Jamming.  My host family told me that the play was touring from Madrid and that it had had a very good response so far.  Jamming is completely improvised using suggestions from the audience which means that every show is different.
When I arrived at the theatre I was given a card and told to write a Spanish phrase on it and to take it into the auditorium with me.  My Spanish isn’t great and I spent a while umming and arring about what to write.  Eventually I put ‘Soy de Inglaterra y no entiendo mucho espanol’ (I’m from England and I don’t understand much Spanish).  I then made friends with the man next to me and asked him to check my card for any mistakes as I didn’t want to embarrass myself.
The performance started with one of the three actors coming on stage, introducing herself and explaining that there would be a lot of audience participation and our suggestions alone would make the performance.  She then asked us all to stand up, jump around and scream and shout (the Spaniards went wild and I stood there awkwardly).  The actors then came out to the audience, introduced themselves to people and shook their hands.
The actors then asked for three volunteers to read their cards out and each actor took one on and did a few minutes of solo improvisation around it.  This is where I found things a bit tricky because the actors were talking soooo fast so I didn’t understand everything.  From the parts that I did understand and from watching the expressions and physicality of the actors, I was really impressed.
The performance continued with varying ways of using the audience’s cards.  Some improvisations were solo, some with two of the actors and some with all three.  Sometimes they asked for volunteers and sometimes they took cards from random audience member.  They also had a pile of ‘theme’ cards which audience members picked out at random for them.  Examples of these were ‘Shakespearing’ and ‘Westerning’ and so they would act out the phrase on an audience member’s card in the style of one of these themes.  One that they did was ‘Old people are just teenagers at heart’ in the theme of a soap opera.  They also put it out to the audience and asked us to shout out random themes when asked so there was Disney, musicals and all sorts of other things thrown into the mix.
As a whole I really enjoyed the show.  It was like a live, Spanish version of ‘Whose Line Is It Anyway?’.  The actors were friendly, likeable and extremely talented.  Because of the audience interaction, there was a really relaxed atmosphere and if something went wrong on stage or something ridiculous happened, the actors didn’t feel as if they needed to continue.
Granted, I haven’t seen in theatre done in this style in England, but I couldn’t help feeling that English theatre can be so strict and uptight.  You hardly ever witness or hear of standing ovations (there were two at this performance) or even much cheering at the end of a show.  I would be really interested to see something done of this style in England and see how the audience accept it and also how the actors approach the audience... because I think the attitude of the actors was what made the show so enjoyable for me.   They all came out to the foyer at the end of the show and chatted to audience members as they were leaving (something else I’ve never seen happen in English theatre).
My only problem was the language barrier, if this had been in English or I had been fluent in Spanish I would have been able to relax and laugh as much as the Spanish people around me.
I’m looking forward to seeing some more theatre here in different styles and observing how it varies but the main thing I took away from this show is that maybe we all need to be a bit freer.  Maybe sometimes as actors we all just need to stand up, stamp our feet and scream and shout.  Whether that’s in rehearsal, before a performance, during a performance or just when we’re feeling a bit restricted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...