And the second blog is by Amy W

During the summer holidays, a group of writers from Yew Tree did some writing workshops for a project called "Castle of Dreams" in which a group of actor take audiences from Westgate Train Station, to Sandal Castle on a word walk. Tonight, my brother and I took the opportunity to form part of the audience for a rehearsal.
The performance began, as all good performances do, by a tour guide on a coach teaching us a little bit about about the castle. I learnt a lot. For example, did you know that Shakespeare actually designed the interior of Sandal Castle? Or that aliens built it? I certainly didn't. Upon reaching the Castle, a few more members of our little audience joined us and our quirky tour guides handed out swords before marching us around the moat. We paused a few times to listen to some speeches from the point of view of some of the staff, with Sam and I elbowing each other when we recognised any of the writing. We crossed the bridge (right over the head of the beast that lived in the moat) and had several monsters described to us, one of which seemed to have four halves. After listening to a princess trapped in a well, some archeologists and someone who seemed to be looking for yoga, the audience split into two groups to enable us to rescue the princess. One group climbed to the top of the castle and the rest of us took a quick break to do some dancing. But, alas, the other group had fallen into a trap! Quickly, we saved them and the princess. After being treated to some wonderful singing of let's go fly a kite and following the princess as she skipped away to freedom, we found ourselves back on the bus and heading back. There was just enough time to read out the pieces of writing that had been deposited on our seats. By a strange act of coincidence, I found that mine was, in fact, one of the things which I had written at one of the writers sessions a few months ago.
Honestly, if I hadn't have taken part in the writing workshop, I doubt I would have watched Castle of Dreams, which would have been sad because not only would I have missed the opportunity to watch a group of actors bring the some of the things that the other writers and I (and some other people) had written to life, but I also wouldn't have got to enjoy a great performance. The actors were brave, loud and a little bit ridiculous, which as we all know makes for a great show. Although I didn't know most of them, the few of the performers that I do know will receive my hearty congratulations.
So if you ever get the opportunity to help generate some material for a play, please give it a go. It could lead to a great adventure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...