Pausing for inspiration...


The holidays are a mixed blessing – obviously I miss all of you, I miss the creative buzz that surrounds a YTYT week, I miss the general sense of play and I miss the progress of making things…however there are a number of things that make this absence in my life worthwhile…

The first and most obvious one is that I get to spend a little more time with my lovely family and the beneficial effects of a break from what can sometimes be a hectic schedule. 

However it also allows me to get a little input…when the term is in full swing Gemma and I are coming up with ideas all the time…inventing things, solving problems, making things happen.  It’s hard when everything is full on to make time to go and see theatre, to go and experience things as an audience or as a learner, a break in the routine allows this to happen.

I took advantage of this in two major ways – on Thursday I went to London to see “Let the Right One In,” a relatively new piece of theatre nurtured by the National Theatre of Scotland and the Royal Court and now a West End Production.  The story is dark, difficult but clever and I was intrigued to see how it would be adapted to the stage.  The answer to that was beautifully. The cast, a lot of whom were in their debut performance, drew me in and mesmerized me with the story of their characters.  I was bewitched by the production, which had the simplicity and honesty of a youth theatre play supported by a significantly larger budget than youth theatre has.  In addition to spending 2 happy hours I came away with all sorts of ideas.  The plays I am directing will be better because I saw it which is, of course, the point of inspiration, it’s worth it’s weight in gold.  In addition to all the arty stuff it has to be mentioned that the whole London experience was enhanced by spending time with the lovely Gemma and checking in with erstwhile YTYT members Jonny, Danny and Rob.

The second kick of inspiration came from attending a poetry reading by Poet Laureate – Carol Ann Duffy.  Her craft with words is breathtaking and her view of the world honest, thoughtful and clever…a wonderful combination.  After an hour of listening to her talking about her life and reading her poetry I left reinvigorated and fulfilled.  I also left with my copy of Lost Happy Endings signed…although she did laugh at me for asking for a children’s book to be stamped with her signature.

Finally this break from the routine provides me with some time for frivolity, which this week took the form of helping Tiff say happy birthday to Brittany in style.  A ridiculous yet brilliant way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...