I love it when a blog pops up unexpectedly in my inbox over the weekend - so imagine my delight when Amy T sent this beauty though last night...

Blogging is becoming one of my monthly Yew Tree activities so one more about Gold's dive into physical theatre wouldn't do much harm... On Wednesday, Gold company will be performing a physical theatre piece in Ossett as part of 'Not Too Shoddy', an event that really gives the town an opportunity to show how much value it really has. Not that I'm biased, being from humble Ossett and all.. But just as you will hear from some of our actors, there are so many great things and historic facts to be shared about Ossett. The piece we're performing smartly intertwines the spinning of yarn to symbolise the true craft that many workers did day in and day out, and also contains many links between the people in the piece, which highlights the community aspect of it all. Physical theatre can be tough and I've been involved in this type of drama through various projects, but it is great to see the whole company really push themselves into work that may be out of their comfort zone. We can all say that seeing the finished filmed version of the final full run is extremely rewarding and makes all the hard work worth it. With creativity levels running high, we started working on our second physical theatre piece called 'The Sea'. This has been performed previously by Yew Tree Youth Theatre but it is currently being rewritten by Sarah and Tiff to give us an extended, fresher version to be performed in June. I think this will be the biggest physical piece we have done as a company and I'm so excited to get straight into it. Watching each group sheds a light from a new angle on the image in your head of what you think it should look like. Eventually, you get the 360 degrees vision of one idea and it makes your head go crazy with ideas on how to play the scene out. That's why watching other people's work is so important. Although I can't wait to see the finished product, devising the scenes to pick out small but important details is vital on making a script as good as we know we can make it. For me, I've grown more confident in physical theatre due to the encouragement from other people in the group to try new things. Stretch my arms a little higher every time, and bring my focus up a notch with each new aspect of the piece so that my confidence eventually is the highest it can be. In my opinion, it's really important to cover all the subsections of drama, including physical elements, to improve your skills and keep the variety fresh. I'm also really really enjoying it and I hope it everyone else is too, because that'd be ideal really... Thanks for reading, Amy x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...