Sam blogs about...Commedia

It was with great anticipation that I turned up to Sapphire Company on Monday. I had the beginnings of an idea about what Commedia was, my clues being that it was Rumplestiltzskin-esque and, courtesy of Wikipedia, “The advent of … improvised performances based on sketches or scenarios.” Which I would consider to be, in a word, intriguing.  For the past few weeks we had been doing improvisation workshops and I think that by expanding this to commedia gave us a little insight to another aspect of such things…

So, what could be better to start of a session than standing in a circle and walking across it in the most absurd and ridiculous ways possible. Frankly, there is nothing better. I myself and a fan of bizarre walks, you could ask any number of my friends and they could classify my particular favourite, known in popular culture as The Sam Walk. We explored the effects of different ways of moving, how the more human ones and those that had unexpected aspects were often the most humorous. The purpose behind all this was to demonstrate the idea in Commedia of distinctive movements that are attached to a particular character and what this tells you about them. I would like to refer back to the example of my Sam Walk; this is a movement which tells you that I am a really cool kind of guy.

Commedia has a variety of Stock characters; the idea of Commedia is that there is no script, but each actor knows their character very well and have an arsenal of short sketches and mimes which can be incorporated into a piece. We learnt a couple of these, based on the character of Harlequin. Our first was a simple one, the delightfully named Harlequin’s Bend, followed by Harlequin Surprized, which goes like this:
1)     Raise the shoulders. Mime: ‘sudden surprize’ (jaw drops).
2)     Sudden drop into full knees bend (‘I don’t believe it’).
3)     Sharply drop shoulders (mildly aggressive).
4)     Slowly straighten knees, and at the same time ‘wobble’ the head from side to side (look of nonchalance: ‘see if I care!’).
Now, it may, or may not for that matter, surprize you (Cue your own attempt at Harlequin Surprized) to know that this is a sequence that has come in handy an awful lot this past week. Baffles them every time…

Moving on, we explored other ways of expressing oneself. The old wiping a smile on and off your face with your hand, a manoeuvre that you have no doubt tried before, was a favourite of mine but there were new discoveries as well. Ever heard of Happy Hands? An enlightening concept. The idea is that as you wind your hands outwards in a circle, you become happier and as you wind them in again you become sad once again with a neutral dead-pan state midway through. We explored other ways of transitioning from morose to jocose with a slight change of expression on each of eight counts, a task more difficult than you might imagine.

Speaking of counting, another aspect of commedia is one of short rhythmic sequences. We tried warm-ups involving us all walking in time and doing an action of various counts, step clap step step step step step turn, being just the beginning. Rhythms seemed to be quite important in some of the mimes that we practiced later one also, walking in triplets is apparently what old people with minds elsewhere get up to in their spare time…

So, as I must get on with some maths homework before the day is done, I bid you a sorrowful farewell. I daresay that I have gone on a bit but I feel that is was justified because rather a lot happened I must say. Thanks for sticking with me…


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...