Callum with his late entry to the Kendal Blog...

KENDAL!!! It's hard to explain what it means to me to have gone back to Kendal Brewery Arts Centre for my last connections. Especially considering it's almost exactly two years since I went their for my first connections. It was an even bigger deal considering their was also a performance of "Vampire Story," being performed that weekend. "Vampire Story," being the very play I performed for that very same occasion. So getting there my head was already overloaded with memories and nostalgia from the time I was there two years before. I couldn't have been happier to be back, almost like going home after a long trip away. We were shown to the malt room and was over the moon to be with people who are almost like a second family to me as well as actual family in the form of my brother. None of this however came close to the feeling that I got walking back into that theatre. It is such a happy place for me. After we'd done a run through we were all told to go and read our scripts from start to finish again. It helped immeasurably and reinforced to me how amazingly written Sparkleshark is. It made me think about how there are so many ways to play the characters in this astounding play. To quote what Ash said "There's no wrong way to play a part, just different". Me and Ash both played Russell but the differences between our characters were huge. This being said at no point did I watch Ash's version and think, no that's the wrong way to do it. i just thought of it as Ash's way of doing it. Admitedly when I first we were being double cast I wasn't really feeling the idea but now I've realised how wrong I was. Ash has helped me more than you'd believe over the few month's we've been doing Sparkleshark. I've picked up things from the way he's tried things and we've been able to discuss things during the whole process that made it about ten times easier to play Russell which is lovely. I think what has helped is the Yew Tree methology of constantly asking question and thinking about character and the play. It means that when we walk onto the stage we can completely immerse ourselves in the story. I have enjoyed this connections process so much and it's something I'll most certainly never forget, and it's not even proper connections. It was better. I've had so much fun. I've enjoyed high after high with a group of people that make me feel alive. Oh and finally i can't write this without saying about Hannah Speke absolutely tearing up a bit of KARAMAZOO!!!! She owned the audience and left them wanting more with a one woman show that was quite literally breath taking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...