Our first connections week blog from first timer Lucy

My first ever Connections week. And I’ve only been a part of Yew Tree Youth Theatre for about a year! But lets just start by saying, during this whole process, I think everyone in the cast can definitely say that they’ve learnt more practical and theoretical tips and workshops to do with drama and acting than they have learnt at high school or at college. It is has been such a challenging experience but, that’s what makes you learn from your mistakes and I’ve worked with a variety of people that I never would’ve worked with if I didn’t take up this opportunity. 
When the day of the auditions came, I stepped into the audition room and thought, “Everyone here is older, more experienced and, probably done 3 or 4 Connections before this. I’m standing here, only 14-years-old, with only 1 years’ worth of a Yew Tree experience, ready to face the music.” I do not tell a lie, when I found out that I got in to Connections 2019, I screamed so loud, I cried the hardest I’ve ever cried, and I laughed the longest laugh I’ve ever laughed. I couldn’t decide how I felt! The best word to describe it; ecstatic. Then when we got our timetable of rehearsals, and I saw that we were going to spend a whole week from 10 o’clock to 5 o’clock rehearsing the play, I sunk into my desk chair. The thought of spending a whole week dedicated to acting, made me tired just by thinking about it. But honestly, it has been the best week of my life so far. I got to work with people I never thought I’d work with, I talked to people I never thought I would have talked to and, even though it has been quite gruelling, I’ve enjoyed every minute of it. My best moment would be the last day (which was a Friday), when Tom Mason and I finally got our scene so good, that Sarah gave it three out of three ticks. That specific scene was the scene that we both got the most notes on and the most corrections. Everyone in the cast, has been so kind, so generous and we all should be so grateful that we have someone like Sarah supporting us all through our acting careers.
Finally, I would like to say thank you to some people who have also had to go through with this fun, but eye-opening, week. Firstly, I would like to say thank you to Sarah Osborne, for putting up with us all, even though sometimes we annoyed you quite a lot! (Sorry!). Secondly, thank you to Helena Wilkinson and Emily Walton, for giving up your time to support us all, to help us improve our scenes and to play the music for most of the really technical scenes. Next, thank you to Tom Mason, Heidi Mersini and Jensen Bradshaw (and everyone else) for working with me in scenes and helping me improve in my acting by letting me learn from you. Finally, I’d like to thank everyone who has supported the cast by either following us on social media, buying tickets for the shows or just showing your appreciation for our hard work and technically savvy cast. This is Lucy Gallivan, a 14-year-old wannabe actress, finishing off her first (and definitely not her last), Connections week blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...