Eclipse/Darkness in the Light Kendal Blog written as tradition dictates by the Connections Company 

This year’s connections experience has been unusual for me; not being a character in the actual connections play, I was in Darkness in the Light. And I think it has been one of the performances I have been most proud of. Being a part of a group that has managed to write and put together a performance which we can be incredibly proud of, with a little input from Sarah when we needed it, has shown me just how far I have come from when I first joined Yew Tree as a shy eleven year old, when I would practice my best and worst in my head all the way from school to home and then to Sapphire company. Kendal has been, as always, an amazing experience. A respite from college where I have performed, played ridiculous games like That’s Out! and a Shakespearean insult off and generally enjoyed myself with an amazing group of people. – Amy W

Hi from Kendal (as Georgia specified in her Shabooyah role call, the place, not the Jenner)! This year is my third connections and third year doing something different in connections. I’ve been part of the prop crew setting scene changes in the wardrobe; an actor in Hacktivists and this year part of the partner piece, Darkness in the Light. Each year I’ve had a completely different experience of performing which has made it even more exciting each time. The whole Kendal experience has been as enjoyable as ever with the usual delights such as That’s Out (which we actually got to play this year because the weather was fab!) and the exciting addition of the Shakespearean insult battle in honour of his 400th birthday which I’ll probably still feel rivalry about for a good few months (Team Moon were the obvious winners but the judges called ‘a tie’ ;)). The process of creating Darkness in the Light has also been an experience that I feel very proud of, having co-created a piece of theatre from scratch inspired by Eclipse, with the other 10 cast members. I love that numerous audience members accepted our theory presented that Lucy Lime was taken by the moon, as well as the two theories presented by the Eclipse cast. So I’d like to say thank you to Sarah for letting us create Darkness in the Light and thank you to the Eclipse and Darkness in the Light Cast for making connections and Kendal another performance and experience I’ll never forget. – Toni

This year is my first time doing connections, and it has been one of the best experiences I’ve had whilst being at yew tree youth theatre. its been an extraordinary opportunity to be part of a cast that is so welcoming and friendly. I have learnt many things whilst being a part of connections for example how choral speaking can increase the power of the play and highlight moments. Cant wait to do it all again next year- roll on connection 2017!! – charlotte

during all of my experiences at Yew tree, choosing to do connections this year has definitely been something new and a whole new opportunity. Getting to know other members of yew tree and putting together an excellent piece makes me feel joyful inside and proud of what we have accomplished. I cannot say how immensely proud I am of each and every one of the Eclipse and Darkness in the light cast and how they have all made me feel very welcome, seen as though this year was my first connections. I also cant thank Sarah enough for everything she has done for the cast, and opening up this new chapter in my life. Very much looking forward to next years, hopefully this will be the first of many!! – Eve

So this year was very different to Hacktivitsts. For a start, we (technically) had three casts: Sun, Moon and our partner piece of Darkness In The Light. Over the past six months, we have all worked extremely hard to produce something that we’re all so proud of. It is my second connections this time and it has not disappointed. Getting to know a bunch of people that I hadn’t spoken to properly before within the cast has definitely been a highlight. I couldn’t be prouder of the cast for all that we have achieved. One thing that was different from last year, the weather, which only meant one thing… We could go to the park and play ‘That’s Out’ and you have never played a game quite like it. Let’s just say that I’m the most left-handed batter that I think anyone will ever meet. Personally, I feel like I’ve learnt so much from both Sarah directing us and the other members as I had never worked as close with most of cast Sun as I have done for this performance so it’s been lovely to build a different bond with each and every one of them (including cast Moon and Darkness In The Light however all of my scenes were with cast Sun). I’m looking forward to cherishing the memories forever and then further building on my knowledge of acting and seeing how much more I can push myself. The performance itself went exceptionally well and (I hope) we did it justice as its now time for our next adventure. Bring on connections 2017… - Emily


My third year at connections was definitely another I wont forget. With a group of the most amazing people in and having our own written unique piece that we wrote. This was a lot of hard work that payed off but in the performance I felt as though it went the best we had done it making last minute adjustments with in the tech we did. I enjoyed having different challenges through the process of making the piece and researching things I never knew about before hand. The bond between all the cast members is stronger and as a cast we have become closer and the memories made are definitely memories to remember. - Grace

I feel like if Kendal was a foodstuff then the Food Standard’s Agency would be singing its praise. Imagine a tin, well labeled, glorious even without a serving suggestion, jam-packed with Kendal. You know what to expect. Always, it delivers.  Rich with many traditions and customs and Kendalisms, I always feel as if the festival is a time to just appreciate good theatre, meet new people and forget about the stresses of college and daily strife – this year no exception.
Thanks again everyone, good good good show. – Sam

It’s been one crazy, unique, memorable experience doing Connections. It’s what made us join Yew Tree, it’s the reason I’ve made what I hope to be life long friends, it’s the reason I now practice shamanistic rituals upon key events of the lunar calendars. I’m eternally grateful for those who have helped make this what it is. Each performance was new, each rehearsal added something important. I gained something small from each experience doing this, and I don’t think I’ll ever do anything like it. But boy oh boy, it was tough. Sleep was lost, tears were shed, and stress reached a new high. But, as a creative person I think just makes it worth it, right? I think it was at the climax of the performance on the stage in Kendal, as this cast, the same cast that had worked tirelessly to put together these two amazingly unique shows, the same cast that had but nine hours prior had been (contrary to proper vocal preparation) been screaming Pitch Perfect on the coach, this same cast stood, arranged on this stage, lit, indulging in the moving, powerful monologue that John and Sam absolutely murdered, that I felt a super overwhelming feeling of pride to be part of the show. It was worth it. All of it. My only regret is that I won’t be able to do it again. To this years cast (and the incomparable Sarah Osborne), I say this: thank you. Sincerely, from the bottom of my heart. To the next cast: best of luck. Enjoy it. I know I did.

Bailey.

so 2016 was my fifth and last ever Kendal, which is absolutely mentalllllllll. it's my favourite weekend of the whole year and I don't think there's anything in the world quite like it, I love it because what should or shouldn't constitute an amazing weekend doesn't apply, and no matter what it'll be the best fun you'll have ever. it's hard to describe until you're there and in the middle of it all, but I can tell you that everyone who's ever been knows exactly what I mean. this year was no exception and I have laughed and smiled and sang and danced about as much as it is humanly possible to do. the show on Friday night went incredibly well and I'm crazy proud of every single member of the cast for absolutely smashing it in so so many different ways. I can still remember Kendal 2012 like it was yesterday and I'm so grateful I have been allowed to be transformed by the magical powers of Kendal for the last 5 years – Amy O X

My first and last Kendal experience is definitely something I won’t ever forget. Putting together a piece from scratch with the Darkness in the Light cast, whilst watching the Eclipse cast progress and flourish week on week has been an absolute joy. Performing on Friday, and being able to fully appreciate the beauty of what we have created over the past few months, made all the Saturday evenings freezing in the back room of Sarah T’s so worth it! Thank you to each and every person I have spent this weekend with; it’s been brilliant. – Lottie x.

The whole connections process has been amazing. I think that this connections has been the one where I have grown the most as a performer. I've loved every moment and Kendal was just the icing on the cake so proud of everyone. Thanks to everyone who has made this as brill as it was ly all - Hollie

Kendal. Well where do I start? That is the question? This is my second time at Kendal and I have begun to love the place even more. This year has brought many memories which I will cherish like not been able to order food because we wereen’t 18. The experience of playing a blind boy as it has brought many new challenges. Performing on Friday made me realise how far we have come as a cast. This year I made new friends and I have been able to have the chance to work with some people who amazing. Lets say staying up until 4am playing cards against humanity made me extremely closer to different people. Believe it or not. I can’ t wait for connections 2017 – dec

My name is Samzo Amore and I am a certified G and a bonafide stud, and you can’t teach that. Usually I can’t take anything seriously, hence the near-nonsensical intro (this is Sam Mandi-Ghomi, by the way. I also go by ‘Machine Gun’), but Connections required full focus, channeling of intensity and actual concentration; and, honestly, I loved every second of it. Probably the technically best piece of theatre I’ve ever been a part of, the entire Connections experience has just been a joy. I’m fully in love with Kendal, and our performance of Eclipse at the festival was probably the best we’ve ever done of it – I’m proud of myself and every single other person involved with this process. Well done all! – Sam Mandi-Ghomi

This could possibly be my last Kendal experience and it has been amazing. I have really enjoyed making DITL and working with the people in it. It has been such a good trip and everyone did really well, well done guys!! – Libby

I came into connections mid way through to do the sound for the performance and it has been really fun and interesting watching process from the outside, iv had a blast with the cast- Courtney

Foreword-sorry about the grammar, and ramblyness, and the general lack of sense. This is my last connections trip and I haven’t cried… yet. I loved every minute of doing this play, from the audition to today even after we’ve done what we came here to do (sounds like I’m in some cheesy horror film). Even if I were to only write about my favourite things I’d be writing till the next years Kendal performance, so I’ll try not ramble (to the joys of my history teacher) and be super specific. Okay first favourite moment, the cast. My oppo in cast sun short stack herself Alice Narey is possible one of the most generous and patient oppos in existence, regardless of how much I messed up, complained, or just didn’t do what I was meant too she persevered and made me develop a better character and subsequently a better performance. Second, the play itself, Simon Armitage if you’re reading this (highly unlikely but oh well) you sir produced an absolute banger of a play and although the rhyming was frustrating and was really interesting and definitely worth it. Third, rehearsals, we’ve had some downs, mainly ups I think my favourite rehearsal had to be the first, the read through foreshadowed just how brilliant our performance was going to be, and you could see the characters already developing. And… what number am I on? …Finally,  Kendal… enough said! I will miss the connections experience, I will miss yt, but the closeness of a connections cast is something only really achieved here. I want to say thank you to the cast for putting up with me for the best part of a year, thanks to Trish (who is fabulous as always) and all the other brewery arts staff who make this experience fantastic. Ox thank you, because without you we are just a bunch of crazy people shouting “ECLIPSE ECLIPSE EVERYONE INTO POSITION:” in the dark. Thanks court for being the best sound gal in the universe, thanks Hannah for co-dealing with our shannigans for the weekend. And thank you Sarah, I don’t know what’ll I do in September when I leave, without ninja warrior and improv to fill up my weekends.
-georgia out.

Connections is a truly special experience – the chance to work and graft over fantastic works by gifted authors is one of the most creatively fulfilling endeavours that has ever been presented to me, and I am thankful to have been a part of it. Thankful to all involved, thankful to those who make it possible, and thankful to Sarah and the rest of our cast for being part of it.

John

What can be said that I haven’t said over the last couple of years? Well, this year marks my last connections and it truly breaks my heart not to be able to do it again. Kendal mixed with spending time with the wonderful people that I get to spend every Saturday evening with is something that I wish I never had to say goodbye to. These people are honestly some of the most special people I think I have ever met and I only wish that I could spend more time with them. Connections is always special as it pushes everyone to be the very best that they can be and that is never going to go amiss. Its my favourite thing of the year and I am gutted I can’t do it next year because I am getting too old for this life. Thank you to the connections cast and, obviously, to Sarah. It has been a blast
-       Bobbie xoxo


Ok so this is my third and final year doing connections and as much of an emotional rollercoaster as it has been, I’ve loved every single second of it and I know that’s horribly cliché but I really mean it. These guys have been my second family for so long now and it’s wonderful to say I’ve performed with the very best of the best people in the world. Lucy Lime was a challenging character but we took her in our stride right Hollie? I love you all very much and I’m so proud and happy for us all. Thanks you lot!!
-       Leah xxx

Kendal is probably one of my favourite weekends of the year, and this one did not disappoint. It feels like the whole eclipse experience has been leading up to this, and so the performance we did at the Brewery arts centre, and the memories that were created in the time surrounding it, are going to stick in my mind for a long time. I've been so lucky to work alongside such talented and unique individuals. I've shared tears, laughter, frustration and delight with people I am proud to call my friends. Hopefully we continue working together in various yew tree events and plays, but for now, as we part from the connections 2016 experience, all I can say to everyone involved in any way at all, is thank you. Thank you for making the past 6 months brilliant. I'm sad to see it over – Tom O

This connections experience has been absolutely amazing, this is my first time doing yt stuff outside of crimson. I have made some amazing friends and Kendal has been brill. It’s a completely new thing that I never thought I would be doing this time last year.  I will definitely be coming back to connections and the friends that I’ve made here mean a lot to me. So thank you to Sarah, who is an absolute  legend and the rest of the cast who are stars!
-       Lowenna xx

Words. They’re kind of hard to handle. Kendal is one of those experiences that I can’t put into words. Although this isn’t my first time at Kendal, this time I got to see what it is like to perform on the Kendal stage – and what a pleasure it was. It was an honour to be able to play Tulip. This year is a lot of people’s last…Unfortunately I cannot mention all, however, I can mention someone I’m especially fond of…Georgia. She may have been a pain in my butt half of the time but I’m not so innocent either. Georgia, I guess you’re alright sometimes (although we all know I played the better Tulip…) I cannot thank Sarah enough for this weekend and I truly hope that this can continue next year and the year after that and the year after that….I think you get the picture. I love you all, than you so much.
            -Alice

‘Wow.’ Literally the only word that can even come close to describing the end of my first YT Connections and my first trip to Kendal. Performing on the Kendal stage was an experience that I loved immensely and will never forget. My favourite part of the trip has to be the moment of absolute exhiliration when we had finished the show, but also the sadness in the knowledge that I will never get the chance to perform with this group of people again. I can only hope that any of this can be replicated in next year’s YT Connections…
             -Tom Mason

I've been trying to avoid writing my blog because I don't know how to put into words how much I enjoy the whole Kendal experience. The friends I've made, the writs and crazy exploits that are Shakespeare insult battles and role call. I love every little bit of Kendal and it kills me a little to know that we might not be able to do it next year. My heart will forever belong to Kendal and I'm already feeling the withdrawal. There are people I'm going to miss so so much I miss the place and the experience already. If you can't tell I'm over emotional most likely due to the very little amount of sleep, but that's the joys of Kendal I guess. But life goes on time to do some revision and eat some healthy food for once this weekend and if anyone from my school asks I've been ill all week – Ellen


     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...