This week at gold company we had a change from the normal routine and had our Saturday morning session at the Hepworth. It was great to relax and 'play' after working so hard towards The Sea performance. We arrived on the drizzly saturday morning and had a quick look around the gallery, apart from some of the fabulous pieces of artwork I couldn't help my awe at the amazing windows there, you stand against one look down and it's like you're floating in mid air. (I'm sure you're enthralled about the architecture of the Hepworth) Anyway, we played a personal favourite of mine 'park bench' but with an array of characters sat on individual sofas and the types of people that emerged were a treat. I particularly enjoyed Georgia P and her imaginary friend 'Stephanie', Mathew and his wife who ran off with the Chinese man next door and Sam in his state of meditating tranquility. The session was brimming with different activities that made strangers taking a walk around the Hepworth throw confused glances in our direction. An example where we received strange looks was the short devising pieces created in one of the galleries. My group who consisted of me, Emma, Katie and Courtney were Britain's next top models fashioning some pieces of artwork and honestly, I would not be surprised seeing those 'accessories' down the runway after our show, or Courtney the queen of sass herself becoming a catwalk model. Beth's group created a simplistic but hilarious performance about confusing a black wall with a piece of artwork which I think wins the award of the day for the best timing. Another fun activity was the short video we made where different body parts popped up from behind the sofas, it was actually surprisingly difficult to think of different positions, you should take a look at the video on the Yew Tree wall. A great piece was the news report sketch that Tom's group created about the mini sculpture things (I appreciated the speaking out for the small people, thanks guys) The artwork has changed since the last time I visited and I was intrigued by the new exhibits which allowed you to get involved with the pieces, I think it is a great way to break the ideology that art galleries and art itself are stereotypically just boring paintings from centuries ago. It was lovely to devise again and where is a more creative place to be imaginative than in an art gallery? Also, I do plan to return and play in the room that's full of tyres (seriously just a room full of tyres, how fun does that sound?!) I have to mention the stunning pictures a few of us recreated with our expressions inspired by the faces on the wall. They're stunning. To sum up, the session at the Hepworth was a delightful way to finish at the end of the term and there were so many more fantastic moments and activities that occurred, I'm sorry that I cannot mention them all or we'd be here for hours. In other news I am very excited to be a part of 'Party at the end of the World' at Nostell Priory next week, if you're free you should definitely along. Thanks for reading, I hope everyone has a wonderful summer!
Daisy x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...