Beth blogs about her second week of Work Experience

"Where do I start?" Is the question I always ask myself when writing a blog. However, it has only been the past two weeks that I have realised the extent of what Yew Tree do. Never have I been so busy! If any of you are unaware, I have been on work experience with Yew Tree and it's obvious that I've had the best placement (not bias at all). Where other students in my year will have made cups of tea, swept up hair and maybe filed the paperwork that was left on the table for several months, I have been fortunate enough to work with different groups of creative and, indeed, very talented people. So here's just a bit of an insight into what I've been up to in the Youth Theatre for the past week (I would tell you about both weeks but then I may as well write a book)...
On Monday I was with Sapphire, Devising new scenes for what's going to be the Christmas Spectacular: 'Rumplestiltsnkin.' But before we were split into groups, we did our best and worst (for me, that was the third time that day and all I could think about was the sun and my weekend barbeques) and it was time for a game. The room was the world and we had to go to the country that we would like to visit. From Japan to Australia and America, everyone had a reason for why they chose where they stood and some were slightly more obscure than others. Then, the bean game. I have to admit, it's incredibly funny to watch a group of twenty six people be 'bumble beans' and move around their space saying 'where's the honey?' I think it may be my favourite bean so far. Devising time and we were given the task to create a mini-performance for the next scenes of Rumplestiltskin; which every group did so well! Not only are the people in Sapphire incredibly talented, but they're also highly hilarious. A massive game of mafia to finish off and I was killed cold bloodedly, in my sleep; but It's okay, because the citizens caught their killers...eventually.
Tuesday was Ruby at St. Swithuns and after even more best and worsts, I led a game of coconuts. You know, it's harder to explain than I thought it would be, but I got there in the end. And after even more games and a break, they were down to work on their performance based on the books by Roald Dahl. It's great to watch different people rehearse, and luckily for me, I had the chance to listen to a read through before I watched them stage the performance. I have to say, it's looking really good.
On Thursday I met Orange company and led another game after they played coconuts and funky seaweed. It was my first time leading Ninja Warrior and it was very tense at some points. I didn't win, which was a shame, but I did gain myself a new nickname. 'Bath.' Hmmm. The Elves and the Shoemaker is what they would be working on for Christmas so, after they were read the story, they started devising their ideas on how the book would come off the page and turn into a play. They had some very imaginative ideas and a slight obsession with Gok Wan. The laughing game to finish off and I think that was the first time I didn't get out in the first round. That was an achievement!
Lastly for this week was my own company, Crimson. We played games like 'The Golden Egg' and the scarf game before embarking on the process of casting. For Christmas, we will be doing 'Beauty and the Beast,' but a Yew Tree twist is needed so that there are enough parts for all of the members. Because of this, we heard different ideas on how to add more characters and follow the original, darker story. Gemma read out what she had written for the opening monologue and gave us the task of writing more, continuing the style and genre of her writing. And, with some tweaking, it is done. I'm becoming more and more excited! 
There's nothing like another game of mafia to end the session. I didn't die this time and only had to cry for freedom once; yet another achievement!
Thank you Yew Tree for a brilliant two weeks. You're all fabulous!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...