Charlotte Scott is our guest blogger...

Okay so I though I would talk about my week at yew tree, cause its been quite busy...
On Monday i got to volunteer in my old Primary School in Castleford which was sooooo nice :)
We helped the class put together stories about the sculptures at The Hepworth.
So we began the day with captain beaky( I think that's how you spell it?) and killer twelve and then moved onto developing the characters the class created in small groups when we were at the Hepworth a few weeks ago. Some of the groups had some brilliant ideas and the one that seems to stick in my mind is about a trip to the dentist... Ha! Inspired by a sculpture they thought looked like a tooth...
Then after dinner it got a bit hectic but it all calmed down after we played another quieter game and then they were all well on there way to finishing their stories!
So then we move to Thursday and Friday where I was involved in a Play in a Day with two different schools at the new Wakefield One building.
The play was all about the new museum as why Wakefield is quite brilliant. Must say I think I've learnt just as much as the children did...
These two workshops also included games which is definitely one of my favourite parts of volunteering, watching/taking part in soooo many games. We played make me to inspire them to come up with there own images to illustrate the speeches about famous people from Wakefield and important themes such as war and justice. Then they performed to their parents at then end of the day. And on the Friday in particular was an achievement as they managed to learn everything from 11 o'clock in the morning to be ready to perform to an audience at 2 o'clock that afternoon!
Then my week finished on Friday night with my regular session at Sarah Thomas. This involved, would you believe it... More games! Woo and a run through of The Nutcracker to conclude.
Sooo this was my week, in my oohing people should give up there day job and just volunteer for Yew Tree cause its just great!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...