Our second guest blogger this week is Jack Iredale...

So, we had a directing workshop on Thursday. It was enjoyable, but I came away with one major thought, that I’m probably going to wait a bit before I try it out. Granted, I was a bit better at it than I thought, which may have been because I was directing people I knew, I imagine if it were a new company, I would find it much harder, at least at my current level.
Then again, that was covered but what we thought about in the beginning, what a director is and what they shouldn’t be, which essentially boils down to keep in control, have a good relationship with your company and know what you want to do, whether that’s everything in a piece, or just one simple idea, if you know what you want to do with it.
This came in handy when we had to direct each other. The first round of directors had it the hardest, as they had to direct Pinter, not the easiest to do in a 20-30 minute time limit, but I think this worked as an effective ice breaker. I found it easier to take direction than act, but again, that’s just my view. I know some people were really looking forward to the directing, and others were a bit unsure, but everyone did really well, especially the Pinter’s. The rest of us had DNA, which had its own difficulties, such as lines overlapping, that you had to study the script to understand, again, something a director should do.
I found that my directing style amounted to try a load of different emotions and see which works. When we reached that, see the extremes and bring it back from near the top. It’s nice to find out your own style, rather than trying to copy someone else’s, makes the directing feel more natural, and it helps the people your directing.
It has been one of my favourite Summer at Yew Tree course, though it was quite different to the others, focusing a lot more on the theory. This wasn’t a bad thing, as without the theory, I know I wouldn’t have been able to do any of the directing exercises. I found it helped a lot, and expanded my ideas of directing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...