The incredibly valuable and valued Gemma Whelan...with a lovely blog that echos the thoughts of the Yew Tree artists as we get ready to start the term...

So the last year has been put to bed and the new one has begun, and it’s full of promise, opportunity and youth theatre, and so we begin the joyous journey that rockets through the rollercoaster of the next 12 months, with highs, lows and moments of complete bewilderment when I look at the people around me and I say who am I and why am I here? But would I get off? Nah! not for all the tea in china.

Also I have a grand master plan for what I what I would like to explore this next year, which I can’t completely divulge because if I did I would…..have…to…..stick to it, which is a dangerous place for a practitioner to be, as we need to be flexible when we’re exploring young peoples imagination and realms of their confidence.
I can tell you though that there will be a appearance of King Lear, chunks of slow motion action from The Tempest. Lots of lovely site specific writing, and a cameo from a dragon called Puff.

And when December 2010 races around the corner and there a lots of moments of ‘Just get through the next performance, only 5 more to go’ and ‘Sorry rob I left the registers’ at home’ and we’re on the home stretch with tinsel in our hair, I’ll find it hard to remember what the reasons are for what we do within the youth theatre, but I will have stopped thinking and started feeling it and have moments of complete connectivity with the journey, which is the reason I always get back on the youth theatre ride.

We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day. ~Edith Lovejoy Pierce

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...