Alice with an extra features blog inspired by Say the Words Yew Tree's current Theatre in Education tour...

On Friday I went to watch the final day of rehearsals for, “Say the Words.” A TIE piece on teenage pregnancy that Yew Tree have toured twice before.

It was belting.

I think the amount I enjoyed watching was a bit weird though. HA!

It’s very rare I get to watch a piece of theatre again and again and I noticed lots of things.

The issue is, I get asked to write a blog and I’m like, “Yeh!” Then I realise I don’t have a point and that I just noticed a lot…so I’m just hoping if I write what I saw then I’ll find a little conclusion, wish me luck.

So, they were doing a “Stamina test,” and performed five times today which wouldn’t have been as impressive if they weren’t all so brilliant.

Having been part of a TIE tour of a very different nature last year in college it was interesting to see a way of performing such a sensitive subject only exploring the aftermath. This obviously requires the audience to care enough to listen to the background to the story; I watched it four times and guarantee people will be engaged straight away.

I think that the discipline in the performance and those required for the other elements of the tour are introduced into youth theatre all the time without people realising. For example the importance of evaluation and self evaluation meant that the actors could acknowledge weaknesses (of which there were few) and alter them for the next run.

I’ve definitely made about three random points with little relevance to each other

But

I’ve pulled a conclusion out of the bag – if a little vaguely linked.

I just think that it’s easy not to notice so much stuff, whether you go to youth theatre and don’t notice the importance and brilliance of the reflection that Best and Worst offers or the information that you’re fed without noticing whilst rehearsing that in three years time you can tell your drama teacher you already know…ha (I’m cool)

But yeh, so much personal stuff can be transferred into acting and telling important stories. So youth theatre gives you the choice to do what you want with the information and opportunities you are exposed to.

Byeee x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...