I was struck this week by finding myself looking at our workshops and indeed my directing/workshop leading from the outside. Over the last few weeks we have had quite a few new people join us and a number of visitors too…(some from such esteemed institutions as East 15 and the National Theatre) I started to see Yew Tree workshops from their perspective and I realised that because we have become so well established as companies, whether that be The Heights cast, the 17+ group or any of the other groups I run (and I’m pretty certain the same could be said of those that Gemma, Sam and Danny run with assistance from Callum, Rob and Aaron) there are so many traditions involved, so many accepted behaviours, so much tacit understanding that it must be quite a weird place to visit or join. This I think is a positive and negative thing entwined…the fact that we have developed a place that reflects the individuals and community that are part of it is magic as long as we keep adapting so that it grows and develops and that we ensure at all times that it is as inclusive as is possible…

Sarah

Comments

  1. It might be a cop-out if I just put 'mint'....

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think yew tree is very inclusive, everyone is always welcoming to newcomers :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...