Connor’s Connections Blog: 5 Connections Later, Still Learning 

 

Here we are again, Connor’s writing another blog. Grab yourself a cuppa or something ‘cause this could take a while. 

 

Connections has consistently been my favourite part of YT for nearly five years now. It provides me with unique challenges every time whether that’s getting to grips with a character I don’t understand in Ceasefire Babies, wanting to quit during CHAOS, building up the stamina to perform on stage for an hour in Look Up and creating theatre during covid times with Witches Can’t Be Burnt, Connections is like nothing else YT offers. This time with Hunt, the challenge was getting over the fact that I’m reaching the end of what has been one of the best chapters in my life so far. I’m getting disgustingly close to 20 now and even if I wasn’t going away this summer it would still be my final Connections. 

 

Let it be known, I was disappointed when I discovered we were going to be doing Hunt. This is because I'm an idiot. I had my mind set on a different play and wasn’t pleased that we didn’t choose it, even though I hadn’t actually read Hunt by this point. A few days later, that all changed. Arwen & I took the time to read the entire play out loud while we tried to figure out who we were going to audition, this is when I realised that we had a gem on our hands. The script was funny, all the characters had stuff to sink your teeth into and the story was thoroughly engaging. And this was only reading the script. Instantly two characters jumped out to me, Steve & Fra. Steve was a d**khead who hadn’t matured and I enjoyed his dynamic with Carly. Fra I could relate in many ways as the big brother constantly looking out for his family and younger sibling. I weighed up both options in my head for a week and after getting Sarah’s opinion I settled on Steve. 

 

The day of the auditions came and I had only just learnt my lines that day (this is a consistent theme with my Connections auditions) and I was up first (or at least I think I was, I may have been 2nd, not 100% sure). Eliana stepped in as Carly for me and came out of it feeling pretty good. It wasn’t the best audition I’d ever done but I had faith that the casting would be good. Long and behold, it was. I got the role of Steve, I got to be double casted with Jeevan and I got to work with Eliana as my Carly, which is just a nice coincidence. One thing to note, I realised very quickly that I was going to be the oldest member of the cast which is both terrifying and exciting; with the expectation that comes with that. Rehearsals began and it felt lovely to be doing things which I expect from Connections such as no longer being scared of covid (mostly), doing exercises like ranking the characters and complaining about actioning. You know, the usual things. I had the people I’d come to associate Connections with by my side Chloe, Jeevan, Lucy but there were so many new people taking part in their very first Connections in Emma, Becca, Alice & Grace. It’s always lovely to see new people step up to the challenge and all of them exceeded every expectation anyone could’ve had of them. I remember the off-text improvisation during Connections Week as a fond memory. Becca, Eliana & I came up with a scene where Fra introduces Carly to Steve and the pair initially hate each other. Speaking of Connections Week, that really felt like the moment where all the pieces began falling into place. Lines were learnt, relationships were developed and I went on a lot of coffee runs. The people who ran the joint knew what I was going to order by the end of it. 

 

Before I knew it, we were at the local performances. A time where everything from the last 5-ish months comes together and we get to see how an audience reacts to our work. I didn’t perform for the first two performances; instead I was a member of the company and a terrible usher. My starring moment came as the bullet which was blatantly taken from Hamilton. Eventually, the time came for my cast's performances and they went great. I felt the 1st was a little undercooked in terms of my own performance but everything felt right during the 2nd. I was really proud of what we had created to the point that when it ended I ALMOST cried. Very nearly. Arwen & I went for drinks after the show, like we normally do, and we couldn’t help but feel a sense of proudness about our work. Little did we know that would be the end of our time with Danielle & Steve… 

 

Picture it, you’ve just done a seven hour shift at your local Wetherspoons. The bar is hot, you fancy a drink, you grab your stuff from the staff room and check your phone when BAM! You get a message from Sarah asking you to learn an entirely new character in the space of a week. You don’t know what to say at first, you’re confused, sad at the prospect of having to change but then you realise this is something fresh, a challenge that you can rise above and a chance to work alongside Arwen which is always a treat. You say, yes and now the stress kicks in. That was my situation a week before the performance at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield. You see, Chloe & Nat had to drop out for differing reasons. So, now Arwen was taking over from Chloe as Jo & I was doing the same for Nat with Jamie. I must stress this now, Hunt wouldn’t have been the show it was without Chloe & Nat’s contributions! They passed us the baton. Almost a week goes by and I still haven't learnt any lines. I had worked for 4 days straight and because of covid, I hadn’t been able to see Arwen. My mind is a mess. Luckily, my parents had got me a new notebook and my mum helped read in all my cue lines. Within the space of a few hours everything was learnt and my mind was put to ease. 

 

The day came and the sun was shining in a surprisingly beautiful Sheffield. No offence if you’re from there, just not what I’d imagined it to be. Arwen & I got the train in and after listening to some Arctic Monkeys, I was ready. We had a 3 hour tech rehearsal first which allowed us to get used to the space, acoustics, and where our audience was going to be. During the break between techs we were fed and even had live entertainment from a quite lovely singer. Then a real highlight came for me, we had 2 hours in the main theatre of the Crucible in which we could go anywhere. Obviously, I used this freedom to go to the furthest reaches of the theatre including the boxes (which were a lot higher up than they seemed). It was just breathtaking to be given such a space to work in and I still don’t feel like I got to appreciate all of its glory. 

 

Finally, we were ready to perform and got to witness Regent Theatre Academy’s production of, Find A Partner. It was funny, dark, and had an interesting take of what it means to be in love with someone. Soon enough, it was our turn. The next 50 minutes were a blur to me. From what I do remember: I kicked a bucket on accident, basically kissed Arwen onstage, had a little boogie from behind the curtains during scenes, and cried in the aftermath of it all. Which is the first time that’s ever happened after a show. Something about Hunt really sticks with me. I don’t know whether it was the people, the characters, the finality of it all, but the end of this show hit me like no other. I’m missing it all right now as I write this blog. 

 

I would like to take this time to appreciate some people: 

 

First of all, Arwen. My wonderful partner in life. As I write this in secret with you right behind me, I hope that one day I will be able to show you all of what you make me feel. You consistently push me to be the best person/performer that I can be, you’re my rock no matter what, and I’m so happy we get to keep our streak of working together alive.

 

Next up, Jeevan. It’s crazy to think we’ve been working together for nearly 5 years now. This time spent double casted as Steve together has been great and I’ve loved experiencing our different takes on the character and the amount of times you’ve made me laugh throughout it all. 

 

To Eliana, Hunt wouldn’t mean what it does to me without you. Getting to work alongside you has been one of my highlights, not just of Connections but of Yew Tree. It’s been delightful to get to know the amazing performer you are, and all the hugs in the world can’t show off my appreciation for you. 

 

To the rest of the marvellous Hunt cast, you’re all fantastic performers in your own way and never stop letting Sarah push you further. She knows what she’s doing. Trust me, I’ve known her long enough. 

 

Speaking of which, Sarah I want to thank you for all the times you’ve given me an extra note at the end of rehearsals, suggested an idea for me to think about or used a musical reference to help me understand a concept better. You don’t need me to tell you you’re a fantastic director but I will anyway. YOU’RE A FANTASTIC DIRECTOR. 

 

For John, it’s been a delight to finally get to collaborate alongside you mate. You’ve constantly given me new directions to take my characters and I look forward to witnessing the creator you become. 

 

To close out this VERY long blog, I want to summarise what Connections means to me. Growth. That’s what it is. You’re never the same performer you were after you finish Connections. In some way or another you’ve grown and the lessons that you learn stay with you for the rest of your life. This is Connor Monkman signing off from Edinburgh after a couple of whiskies (sorry Sarah).

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...