First Blog about Connections is from Connor! I normally have a title for these but I'm going to keep this straight to the point. Connections 2017-18 was an unexpected gem in my life. I've already wrote once about how I wasn't originally going to sign up as I was worried about it taking up time that I would use to focus on my GCSEs, as well as the fact that I wasn't confident I was good enough yet. So, instead I'm going to tell you what was going on in my head from when I found out we were off to the National till now (A week after the performance).

So, we received the news that we were asked to perform at the National on 16th May and I couldn't believe it at first. Initially, I thought it was one last appreciation post by Sarah but when it began with "message I've wanted to write for the past 14 years" I knew something was up. Then when it finally hit me I ran up and down my house for around 5 minutes, with the biggest grin on my face I think I may have ever had. I didn't care that the performance fell on the same day as my prom because, when you get opportunities like that, you don't say no to them.

I'm not going to lie, it felt weird after a month of saying goodbye to these characters, to put on the old costumes and say those lines once more. But after the first rehearsal, I knew this was going to be the best performance we had ever done. We then got to meet Tom Hughes, our National director, and he was an absolute blast to have around. My favourite thing of his would be when he'd give us feedback and we respond with "yeah" and he'd end the conversation with "joyful," I don't know what it was, but something about that always stood out to me. Although he did struggle to rememeber my name the most, so it wasn't all perfect (but then again, that was my fault).

Then it was time for the cast and crew to head to London and I must say these next few days, were part of one of the greatest experiences in my life. The Yew Tree gang are already like a second family to me, so to get to spend a couple days with them in my favourite city was fantastic. The actual day of the performance flew by and I must express my gratitude to the National, as to be treated like an actual professional felt amazing. The crew were so nice, and I remember that they came to like me as I knew where all the props needed to be placed and who was responsible for them. Because I'm a suck up.

Finally, it was time to perform and I must say it was like nothing I had ever done before. To perform in front of a nearly sold out theatre to over 400 people, with that cast, was the greatest feeling I've ever had. And I think I speak for us all when I say, it was over in a flash. After we took our bows, I was in a trance of sheer joy, I don't think I stopped smiling for the next 3 days.

It's experiences like this that make Yew Tree the best part of my life. It's forged me as an actor and person into who I am today, and I can't thank everyone enough for that. If you want a deeper look into what I think of the cast, you can check out my Instagram account @_connormonkman_ (Cheap Plug). But in summary, I believe them to be the best set of people that I know and I'm so grateful that I can call them my friends. I'm never going to forget those days, not one second of It, but I can't dwell in the past for too long as in a few months we'll start the whole process again and this time I'll get to actually vote on what play I wish to do. I still don't fully believe myself when I say, I've performed at the National Theatre by age 15 and I don't think I ever will. Frederick McQuire, you were an absolute privilege to perform as and "Ceasefire Babies" I'll never forget what an outstanding experience you've provided me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...