Readiness

Today’s blog is inspired by Alice…who has blogged twice for YTYT at the tender age of 7 and who I spotted at the start of yesterday’s run of Aladdin, when most members of the cast were still chattering and settling, stood perfectly poised and entirely ready…she made me catch my breath such was her level of maturity and concentration.  She also made me think that readiness was a very useful thing to blog about…

I talk a lot about being ready in my workshops – in my school work I talk about being ready to learn…in my work with professional organisations about being ready to take on new ideas, to see things from a new perspective and in my drama workshops and rehearsals about being ready to work wholeheartedly and creatively…that actors should be ready to give themselves over to the process of making theatre…

It is of course like so many things easier said than done but it makes a big difference when readiness is present – whatever the context – it means that the people in the room are present…entirely in the room and in the moment…there is a level of focus, of openness of generosity that makes working together a great experience and in turn productivity goes through the roof…it means really listening…not taking in edited highlights…it means all distractions are evicted and everyone has a common goal.


The wonderful thing is that readiness can be learnt – it’s not something you have to be born with and if you can get good at it you’ll be a pleasure to work with and have such wonderful pleasure in return…just like Alice…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...