And joyously Rob is the second

Coming back to participate in Yew Tree’s 20th anniversary was an utterly joyous experience. For those who didn’t come, I was lucky enough to present research outlining what academics think about Yew Tree. So, for those who couldn’t make it, I’ve converted my offerings into a blog. This allows me to tie-up a few lose ends, and maybe talk less about suicide, and other depressing stuff – you had to be there.

Yew Tree impacts its members in many different ways. For some, the impact is obvious – it gets you into drama school. But for others, like myself, it is less obvious. I often find it hard to articulate how Yew Tree changed my life. That is why I turned to the study of education and learning. Because academia can begin to quantify the social impact of Yew Tree.

Yew Tree falls into what academics term ‘extra-curricular activities’. These are engagements that take place outside of formal education settings. Social scientists have become surprisingly good at measuring these activities. Broadly speaking, these measurements fall into two domains: the academic and the social.

First, the academics suggests that young people who participate in extra-curricular activities show positive attitudes towards schooling, increased completion rates, and higher grade attainment –even after factoring socio-economic differences. Second, the social, suggests that young people experience improved self-esteem, self-awareness, and self-identity. Thus providing a safe space for young people to forge their perception of identity, and improving mental well-being.

For me, all of the above was true. Perhaps not the amazing grades. However, looking back, Yew Tree provided me with an amazing sense of worth. Especially at a time when my home and school life was turbulent. A sentiment that was epitomised by Ash, who, halfway through the 20th Anniversary Open Mic Night, turned to me and said: ‘How do I even thank Sarah, for all that she has done for me?’

So, at a time when non-formal activities are losing funding, the poorest have less money to access them, and formal education is valued over the informal – we must applaud Yew Tree. As members, we must endeavour to support and nurture our community. As guardians, we must actively attend and speak of the things we see. And as alumni, we must go afar and speak of our experiences.

As for me, I intend to keep supporting Yew Tree through political apparatus. How successful will this be? Who knows. However, I do know this; I wouldn’t be writing with coherence if it were not for Yew Tree. So, as Yew Tree turns 20, I say thank you. Thank you for creating an utterly self-indulgent, overconfident, self-assured, and annoyingly loud boy.

Much love
Robert



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...