Jess Hopwood (black company)is our guest blogger of the week...she get's top marks for asking me on Thursday if she could do the blog...the end of my week is significantly brightened if I already have a volunteer...top tip for you all there...

There’s been more than a few times at yew tree when I’ve been completely blown away or inspired by what we’ve either done as a team or what I’ve watched others in the group do. I reckon I’ve kind of grown to expect it now, watching bars being raised and all that. So, this is why I was totally surprised in last night’s 17+ session…turns out physical theatre adds a whole new atmosphere into the group- and it’s absolutely immense to be part of it.

One of the main things what I’ve noticed in the last two sessions is the amount of energy within the group, not just when everybody is moving- but even when we’re given the direction just to make eye contact and hold it with someone. In one of the warm-up exercises, if Sarah said “stereo”, we all had to run to the stereo, sit crossed-legged and just stare at it. Everybody was focused on the same thing with such a high level of energy and it was such an intense feeling.

Our main task of the session was to partner up and after experimenting, create a sequence of moves using 3 words: yield, resist, lift. The whole idea was about weight and being able to manipulate it by either giving, taking or sharing with your partner. When we had our sequence, we were told to make it so it appeared that you were having a conversation with your partner, but without actually talking. Then after everybody was sorted, we stood in a circle opposite our partners and took it in turns to come into the middle and show what we had. I found it really interesting to watch because with the same 3 words and instructions, there was so much variety and so many brilliant ideas. Keeping in mind the start of my blog, this was the point in the session where I was totally and completely caught up in the moment. Maybe it’s because I’m a dancer, so I always love things like this, but just watching everybody’s sequence- with the music, energy and concentration- was really powerful. In a completely non-cheesy way…I think there’s something really beautiful about watching 2 people with complete trust and focus move together- and what tops it off is that each sequence is entirely open to interpretation.

Right, well…I’ve never been one for writing, so the fact that last night’s session inspired me to do this shows just how top I thought it was, doesn’t it. Gotta love yew tree!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...